Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Roughing it, by Frances FitzGerald

I had hoped for the kind of Alternative Spring Break that involved sun, sand, a private room at the Ritz, and efficient room service. Apparently, this version is not available at Madonna. Or at any school in the U.S. and probably the world.

On the other hand, my Alternative Spring Break in Washington, D.C., included plenty of informal conversation with Madonna students, Dr. Seuss art projects, homework sessions with kindergarteners and first-graders at a Boys & Girls Club, food deliveries to shut-ins during a rare blizzard (rare for D.C.), some sight-seeing at museums and monuments, and some pretty decent meals.

True, we weren’t living in the lap of luxury. About 40 students and staff slept side-by-side on cots in the Boys & Girls Club gymnasium. Showers were cold, privacy was non-existent, and my portion of the “Scrub the Club” project involved cleaning bathrooms. I don’t even like to clean my own bathroom.

But I’m glad I did it. As I squirmed to get comfortable on my Red Cross cot, it occurred to me that plenty of people would be grateful to have a cot to sleep on, some shelter from the un-spring-like weather, three meals in one day. I thought about my privileges: steady employment, a reliable car that’s paid for, a comfortable bed and hot shower at home. What felt like “roughing” it to me might have felt like the Ritz to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment