Monday, March 30, 2015

Art of photography, by Olivia Khleif


This image was taken on a Ricoh camera, the film was developed in a dark room in 2006. This image turned out to be my favorite image I’ve ever taken even after having a digital camera. I eventually scanned this image and decided to edit it in Photoshop to change the brightness and contrast because the image started fading after some time. Digital art has advanced tremendously in the past 10 years, and there are so many things artists are able to do now. But to truly understand and appreciate photography for what it is, I think that we should remind ourselves that to capture an image was not just snapping a picture on your phone or a high-powered camera. It was capturing it on a camera, waiting for the roll to be finished, developing it and then seeing what it is you have captured. The process was not as instant as it is now, which made it so much more satisfying as you watch the image appear in the chemicals. I think that this generation is so lucky to be able to salvage images even if they are developed like this one. We are lucky that we can capture moments and have them instantly saved for as long as we want them. This image, to me, is a reminder to appreciate the Art of Photography for what it truly is.

1 comment:

  1. I love the interaction in this photo, Olivia. I don't know much about photography; it just makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete