Monday, March 30, 2015

Differences between Korea and America, by Minkyoung Ji


Differences between Korea and America, by Minkyoung Ji
I am from South Korea. This is my first year in America. I have lived here only three months, but I feel many things. I like sports, so when I was in Korea, I used to exercise more than two times a week. But now I can’t because I don’t have any chance to go to the gym. So, I can only go jogging. Like this, I think that there are many different things between Korea and America.

First of all, chopsticks are commonly used in Asian countries, but when we eat here, we use a spoon, fork, and knife. I can find chopsticks only in Asian markets. However, now I adapt quickly to only using spoons and forks instead of chopsticks. Many people think using chopsticks is too difficult, but in my opinion, after learning to use chopsticks well, whatever we pick to eat, it is very easy and convenient for us.

Second, when we enter the house in Korea, we have to take off our shoes. But, we don’t need to take off our shoes in America. At first, it was a big culture shock to me because I felt that it was so dirty in the house. But now, I have adapted, and I don’t mind any more. I think these two things are very different from my country. If Americans came to Korea, they would also feel as strange as I did.

1 comment:

  1. Well-done, Minkyoung. I hadn't known about that difference re shoes. It makes a lot of sense to take them off before tracking dirt all over the house.

    ReplyDelete