Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Eye-opening, by Camille Laloupe

Two years ago, I went to Miami for spring break with my best friend. We enjoyed an extravagant week with sun, sea, and cocktails.

This year, I decided to try something different. I started the master's degree in Humane Studies at Madonna last fall and, more than ever, I have been involved in volunteering. I planned on working in the pet care industry, and saw myself as a player in the corporate game.

However, going to Washington D.C / Baltimore with Madonna for Alternative Spring Break, with the organization Break A Difference, was eye-opening. Not only did we get to visit these areas, we truly made an impact on the community. I delivered food to the ill, homeless and poor, learned about helpful tools such as “211,” and was able to visit a wonderful high school (Ben Franklin), which has its own daycare center for students with young children.

Our spring break was an invigorating experience, one that I am very proud of, and it definitely made me consider a career in the non-profit sector.

 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like this trip was a natural extension of the rest of your life, Camille. I'm glad to hear it was such a powerful experience. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete