Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros and cons of Facebook, by Holly Hancock

Facebook has become one of the most popular social media sites around the world. You can talk with your friends, play games, and find your favorite places and add them. Facebook was introduced on February 4, 2004, and it has changed drastically. It was made originally for college students, and now it is like watching TV. There are good reasons and bad reasons for having a Facebook page.

One good thing about Facebook is that you can keep in touch with friends and family members. I have a friend who lives in Augusta, Georgia, and I talk to her all the time. It is easier to talk with her on Facebook instead of a telephone because of our busy schedules. Also, it is also nice to keep in contact with all my cousins. We are all in college, and we talk about our classes and career paths.

My personal favorite is that I can change my profile picture and the background of my page. I can add pictures of trips, birthday parties, or being with friends. To make my page look nice and to have memories is always a great feeling. I have pictures of my friend and me in Chicago; it was a great week. Now I have my pictures on my page so I can share our good times.

On the other hand, Facebook can be bad because people start fights on many different posts. Others might not like a certain comment that you make. For example, talking about religion could be dangerous. That is a very hard topic to talk about with others because everyone has their own opinion. Another reason a person would start an argument is because people use Facebook as a journal. They complain about all their problems.

Some people do it for the attention. In an effort to get attention, people begin to bully others. For example, my friend lost weight and was proud of her accomplishments. She really likes attention from her friends. Many of her friends and family told her she was too skinny, making rude jokes, and were questioning her eating habits. Even some of her best friends were telling her to stop acting like a princess. It hurt her feelings badly.

Even though her friends and family said all those mean things to her, they felt confident over Facebook. Saying things to people online is different than face-to-face. Some people never develop social skills because they are used to talking online. A person can say exactly how he or she feels online and feel confident about it. When in front of someone else, that person may become shy or angry.  

On Facebook, there is a term called “selfie.” This word means a picture all about you. It can get a little frustrating at certain times, because you see a picture of one person about eight times in one day. This then leads to people judging you on how you look and what you are wearing. It should not matter how you look because what really matters is your personality.

In the end, you can have a good time and post what you like. Try to be considerate, tactful, and respectful about what you do. Think about what could affect you and your family and friends. Taking all of these steps could help you enjoy your time on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Good balance here, Holly. I like the point you make about some people not developing social skills because their only social life is kind of artificial.

    ReplyDelete