Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Galapagos or bust! by Cindy Wallet

I have just experienced the trip of a lifetime. The Madonna University Study Abroad Trip to the Galapagos Islands was not just something to Google, read about, or watch on the Discovery Channel. None of those things prepared me for this adventure. People have been asking me if it was as good as I thought or hoped it would be. It exceeded anything and everything I could have imagined. I loved the animals, the people, the landscape, and the food (so fresh).

I was not prepared for all the travel required. In and out of four airports in 20 hours, speedboats, water taxis, and jitneys bouncing along dirt roads were fun, and added to the adventure. Snorkeling every day at different beaches under blue skies in warm, crystal clear water was a treat in itself. As a 57- year- old woman (bordering quite close to 58), I consider this trip an accomplishment for myself physically – keeping up with 17 college students!  I also feel motivated to eat better and to treat the environment with more respect.

A thank you to Dr. Ernest Nolan for giving me a digital camera, with his typical kindness and generosity, for my trip. So many photos, so many people to bore them with…  And who knew sea lions were so photogenic?!

A very big THANK YOU to Dr. Veronica Riha, Dr. Neal Haldane, and EcoTeach, the company Dr. Riha worked with for planning this soul-stirring trip. I also appreciated the three wonderful guides we had every single day of our trip: David, Norman, and Wilson.

This amazing trip has awakened a desire in me to travel more!  Cuba, anyone?

Gracias, gracias, gracias, for letting me tag along…

 

 

2 comments: